The George Bygone
Each month we post insights into the history of The George and Wickham Market based on newspaper and other historical reports of events in that particular month.
We would also like to include more recent memories as well, so if you have stories of people or groups associated with our pub (or other former pubs), please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
The story so far...
- Nov - The George’s connection to the First World War, on the hundredth anniversary of its end.
- July - Emily Lion's husbands and Wickham celebrates relief of Mafeking (1900)
- June– ‘Toy boys’, censuses and tithes (1841)
- March - Are you ‘Family’ as well as a Friend?
- February - Pigeons (1857) and Public Rooms (1845)
- January - Fit for beast or man? (1859); Christmas ‘over-celebrations’ (1849)